GOAL is an academic recovery program designed for students who did not do as well as they would have hoped during their first semester in college. The intent is to work with students to identify what DID NOT work from the previous semester, and to develop new behaviors to not only correct past problems, but also lay the foundation for a successful college career moving forward.
新生须知, the transition to college life presents a number of challenges, 课堂内外都有. In some cases, these challenges keep our new students from working to their true potential. 365平台 is not alone in dealing with this phenomenon. 在每个大学校园里, there are students who did well academically in high school and were admitted with full expectations of doing equally well in college, 结果却发现自己达不到这个目标.
每学期, we look at the performance of all of our new students during their first semester at 365平台. We identify students who did not achieve good academic status, 这学期的平均成绩低于2分.0. 取决于GPA, 有些学生被学校停学, and many are given the opportunity to return as part of GOAL. Some students are moved into an adapted academic support program.
We invite first-year students who have experienced academic difficulty in the first semester and who typically would be suspended, 但谁仍有希望, 参与. The purpose of GOAL is to offer a second chance to students, providing appropriate resources and support to meet their individual needs. The program is not intended as a punishment for poor performance, but rather is an opportunity for students to receive guidance to develop self-directed behaviors necessary for college success.
The program requires students 参与 in all aspects of the program. 不参加可能导致暂停. The requirements of the program are outlined to the students before they agree to return for the following semester, and participating students sign a contract that represents their understanding of expectations.
Components of the GOAL program are designed to touch on all areas of the student’s academic life. 我们与学生密切合作, 点名, 学业成功策略, 学习风格 & 个人的力量，和个人的 & 学术挑战.
每学期结束的时候, the Assistant Vice President for 学术事务 notifies students below a 2.0的绩点. 学生 invited 参与 in the 目标计划 also receive an explanation of the program as well as the GOAL Contract. 学生 wishing to return for the next semester must agree to the conditions outlined in the contract. 在学期开始的时候, all returning GOAL students attend a mandatory group meeting to further clarify the conditions of contract.
- 保持90%的出勤率. Missing class is one of the most destructive behaviors for college students, and we require that GOAL students commit to class attendance. Attendance is tracked weekly and students are held accountable for any unexcused absences.
- 每周与学术顾问会面 通过学业成功中心. These meetings are in addition to appointments they may have with their Academic Advisors. All 365平台 students are assigned an Academic Advisor who assists them with major and career planning. The ASC Academic Counselors serve as GOAL success coaches to monitor the student’s academic recovery.
- 完成每周有组织的学习计划. Working with your Academic Counselor during the assigned weekly meetings, students will identify specific academic tasks that need to be addressed in the coming week and assign specific times to complete them.
- 取 中科院1917:学习的基础. This three-credit course examines the academic and psychosocial components of effective college learning. “Psychosocial” refers to the interrelation of social factors and individual thought and behavior. 学生 will explore their identities as learners and build specific academic skills to maximize academic potential.
- Adjust their schedules with the assistance of an Academic Advisor. We want to identify areas of potential concern: Is the student in the right major? 是否有可以或需要复读的课程? Repeating failed courses may be the most efficient way to repair a low GPA. However, any schedule adjustments must be made with the oversight of an Academic Advisor.
- 遵守学生行为准则 以及《365平台》 . 这些政策适用于所有学生, 但GOAL的学生要接受额外的审查, 考虑到他们的学术缓刑状况.
- 利用所有的辅导 以及学术援助服务. 而不是目标学生的要求, tutoring is strongly recommended and every opportunity is taken to connect GOAL students with these services.
在学期结束时, all GOAL students are reevaluated based on their academic progress (as measured by their Cumulative GPA). 学生 who raise their Cumulative GPAs above a 2.0 are considered to be in good academic standing with the University and are released from the requirements of the GOAL program.
没有达到2分的学生.0 cumulative GPA after one semester in GOAL are evaluated to determine their academic status. The Assistant Vice President for 学术事务 (working in concert with the GOAL Academic Counselors) assesses the students’ progress while in GOAL to determine if another semester of support will be offered, 或者是否有理由停学.